1. agadi-nwayi: old woman
It was my first time helping an agadi-nwayi cross the street.
2. ekwe: a musical instrument; a type of drum made from wood
Everyone danced to the beat as the little boy hit his ekwe.
3. iba: fever
I’ve been absent for almost a week because of iba which later on turned out to be dengue.
4. efulefu: wothless man
Is it right to call a murderer an efulefu?
5. inyanga: showing off, bragging
Everyone in class dislikes him because he was always inyanga the material things he had.
6. ogene: a musical instrument; a kind of gong
We wanted the ogene to stand out in the new ethnic song we’re creating.
7. Uri: part of the betrothal ceremony when the dowry is paid
My mother had prepared lots and lot of food for my sister’s Uri.
8. ndichie: elders
The best part of our family reunion was the part where the ndichie sang “Bang Bang”.
9. obi: the large living quarters of the head of the family
I had to bring my father’s dinner to his obi because he could not get out of bed because of high fever.
10. ochu: murder of manslaughter
He was captured by the police yesterday because he was accused of ochu.